Your responsibilities do not end with choosing a well-designed deck; you will have to opt for deck cleaning as well. A deck can be a great space to spend quality time if you add a few pieces of furniture and soft lighting, but it will only be usable if it stays clean. Dirt and grime will start covering your deck over time.
Your deck will look unappealing when left uncleaned for too long. However, the look of your deck is not the only thing you need to worry about. Moss and lichen start to grow on your deck when not cleaned. They make the deck slippery and increase the chances of accidents. Therefore, deck cleaning is essential. If you are unaware of how to clean the deck, here are a few tips:
1. Cleaning the deck with a deck cleaner
You can clean the deck using a deck cleaner. Here is how:
- Start with clearing everything from your deck. This involves moving away the potted plants, furniture, and all other items.
- Use a long-handled deck brush to sweep your deck. This process involves removing dust, leaves, and debris from the deck. Check the cracks for small debris and clean them as well.
- Get any deck cleaner from the store and apply it to your deck. Always follow the instructions mentioned on the label of the cleaner for cleaning. In most cases, it is diluted with water and sprayed or poured over the deck. Consecutively, a brush is used to scrub the deck to get rid of all the grime and stubborn stains. However, you must not wash it away immediately. Allow it to soak for some time so that it can work its magic on the mildew and algae. You can rinse it off after some time with clean water. Just make sure that you wear gloves and goggles while using the cleaner for your safety.
2. Cleaning your deck with soap and water
You can clean the deck using soap and water. Here is how:
- Using soap and water can also be used for your deck cleaning. In this method, a mixture of soap and water is created to get rid of dirt. Consider using a detergent for making the solution. It is non-abrasive and will not damage the deck surface.
- Many people build elegant soft timber decks because of their stunning look. In such cases, you will have to be careful as the material may damage easily. Any soft piece of cloth or sponge can be used for scrubbing the surface. It will get rid of the dirt.
- You might find it difficult to get rid of stains and grime sometimes. Using a sponge will not be effective in such cases. A professional deck cleaning brush will be required. You can scrub the deck with it without damaging the surface. After scrubbing the surface, rinse it off with clean water.
3. Cleaning your deck with soda crystals
You can clean the deck using soda crystals. Here is how:
- Add two to three tablespoons of laundry starch to 500ml of lukewarm water. You will have to make a paste by mixing them. Continue stirring until all the lumps are completely gone.
- Heat 5l of water in a pan and add the mixture to that pan. This is when you also add 100g of soda crystals (sodium carbonate) to the water. Continue heating the mixture until it starts to thicken.
- Next, use a brush to apply this paste to your deck carefully. Make sure that it is applied to the deck evenly in all places. Allow it to stay on the deck for a few hours so it can loosen the grime. It will make deck cleaning much easier.
- After waiting for three hours, rinse the deck with clean water.
This is a great solution for people who are looking for budget-friendly solutions. You will not have to invest a lot of money. Also, you do not have to worry about it damaging the deck material. It does not contain harsh chemicals.
4. Cleaning your deck with a pressure washer
You can clean the deck using a pressure washer. Here is how:
- A pressure washer can be used for your deck cleaning. However, you will have to be careful while using one. A pressure washer has the potential to damage your deck. Always go easy with it to avoid damage.
- Clean the deck from a distance. Delicate materials like timber can easily get damaged.
- Experts suggest people always use cold water and not spray the jet directly at the deck. Besides damaging the surface of your deck, it can wash away wood adhesive. This can make the material brittle.
- Never choose rotary pencil jet nozzles if you have wooden surfaces on the deck. It can damage the deck. Consider hiring an expert like ProGreen Carpet for the task if you are confused. Professionals can perform the job without damaging your deck.
- Spray water with the pressure washer in one section and then move to a different section. Make sure that the cleaning is done evenly. You do not want the deck to appear uneven. Some variants of pressure washers come with an attached brush. This brush makes performing the task much easier and helps in saving time and effort.
- Always wait before staining or treating the deck after cleaning it with a pressure washer. This will help to ensure that moisture does not get trapped and cause the wood to rot.
The tips mentioned above are great for deck cleaning. However, you might need professional help to perform the task sometimes. ProGreen Carpet is one of the most renowned service providers in the country. You can contact us for deck cleaning services at 919-332-3039!